Pages

9.02.2012

St Mark's Lion

The Lion in front of St. Mark's Church on 12th St, early July

This image was the first in a long time that people came up to compliment me on (last time I got that was early last June).  I ended up adding color when I returned, but it was gratifying in a sense that at least the black and white could hold its own as well, even in its incomplete state.


There was one fellow who came up specifically and started chatting.  He apparently works the night shift... somewhere, and was meeting a friend of his in the square to plan a walking tour of the area.  He wished to compliment me on my sketch, and he showed me a tattoo on his upper right arm of a lion (rampant?): a big-cat enthusiast.  We discussed briefly the nature of lion statues, and if you keep your eyes out while you walk, lions are everywhere: over portals, guarding the steps of residential buildings, in front of official buildings, portrayed in reliefs that pan across second and third story levels of older buildings...

No comments:

Post a Comment